Sandalwood Herbal Powder
Sandalwood (scientific name – Santalum album) is a class of woods from trees in the genus Santalum. It is referred to as “Chandan” in Hindi. Often cited as one of the most expensive woods in the world, both the wood and its oil produce a distinctive aroma which soothes the senses and calms the mind. Fine-grained and yellow in colour, Sandalwood retains its fragrance for decades, unlike its counterparts. It’s interesting to know that there are over 100 species of sandalwood plants in the world and they are mostly native to India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Australia, Indonesia & Hawaii.
Sandalwood is an exceptional ingredient in Ayurveda that is reliable and effective. It is usually available as a dull brown looking smooth powder which is derived from the fragrant wood of the Genus Santalum tree. The parts of the tree used are the wood, bark and essential oil.
Sandalwood essential oil is a blessing for treating numerous skin ailments. Sandalwood has a vast range of medicinal qualities that are tried and tested, therefore, it is often used as a home remedy for many skin conditions.
Sandalwood benefits for your skin:
1. Helps in Removing Tan
Saving yourself from the deleterious rays of the sun is imperative. The natural oils present in sandalwood help us to get rid of suntan. Its cooling effect also helps to soothe a sunburn reducing the redness.
2. Has Anti-inflammatory Properties
Its anti-inflammatory properties help to relieve any kind of burning sensation caused due to acne or sunburn. Sandalwood essential oil is also used to treat insect bites & skin wounds.
3. Acts as an Astringent
Sandalwood causes thickening of skin proteins which protects your skin from any breakouts or allergies. It tightens pores and this is the reason it is used as a basic ingredient in many facial & skin products.
4. Used as an Antiseptic
Sandalwood’s antiseptic properties prevent the development of pimples & acne. Bacterial growth on the skin, due to exposure to dust and dirt, paves way for skin problems. Regular usage of sandalwood can benefit the skin amazingly.
Other benefits of Sandalwood
- The fragrance of sandalwood helps to lower anxiety levels
- People suffering from sleep issues may use it to calm their mind
- Aids in boosting memory & alertness
- Sandalwood oil helps with dry ends & adds fragrance to the hair.
- Works as a disinfectant and keeps bugs and germs at bay
- Sandalwood is an excellent anti-viral agent, which is also known to cure eczema successfully.
- Controls spasms by relaxing nerves
- It is used as a natural treatment for urinary tract and kidney infections.
- Prevents body odour
- Regulates blood pressure
- Moisturises hair
Interesting facts about Sandalwood
- It can reach upto a height of 10 feet – 30 feet.
- It is semi-parasite in nature. It can survive on its own, but it prefers to take away nutrients from the roots of nearby plants
- Its fruit is pea-sized & contains one black seed.
- Its use is quite prevalent for religious rituals & traditional medicine.
DIY Sandalwood Face Packs
- For dry skin – Mix 1 tablespoon sandalwood powder. Add 1 tsp of almond oil & coconut oil each. Add a few drops of rosewater. Apply on the face, keep it for 15-20 mins and then rinse it off.
- For oily skin – Mix 1 tsp of sandalwood powder with 1 tsp of orange peel powder. Apply on the face, keep it for 15-20 mins and then rinse it off.
- To lighten suntan – Mix 3-4 tsp of sandalwood powder with some tomato juice. Rose water or plain water can be added to the mixture. Apply on the face, keep it for 15-20 mins and then rinse it off.
- For Acne-prone skin – Combine together 1 tsp of sandalwood powder with 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder. Add rosewater or plain water. Apply on the face, keep it for 15-20 mins and then rinse it off.
Undoubtedly , Sandalwood is a prized ingredient. With its woody and exotic aroma, Sandalwood is a natural healer for your skin, mind and health.